simple design

Monday, May 09, 2005

I've got Tiger!!!!

When I got home from school today there was a package on my doorstep. I opened it and behold: there was my Mac OS X Tiger box. Almost immediately I opened it and commenced installation. I decided to first install it on a separate partition to make sure it worked first. So I erased my Ubuntu Linux installation as I never used it much anyway. Tiger installed just fine. After I had it working for a little while I installed it on my Panther volume, choosing the Archive and Install option. I have heard this is more reliable than just an Upgrade. So Archive and Install I did. After it was installed, I had to upgrade a few apps, namely Desktop Manager and Quicksilver. I also had to install the Xcode Tools, which hung in the finishing installation stage. I don't think it messed anything up though. I then downloaded the Ruby on Rails Tiger Installer, which worked perfectly. I will need to install mod_fastcgi though.

Most of my apps still work. One thing Apple doesn't mention is that Mac OS X Tiger includes an iWork 05 30-day trial. Both of these apps, Keynote and Pages, are very cool. Both are perfect for two projects I have at school. What a coincidence. I do like many of the new features in Tiger. Spotlight is very cool, finding a Pages file by typing in a word found only once in it. Dashboard is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Automator requires a little bit of getting used to, but you can do quite a bit with it. Unlike many people, I'm pleased with the new Mail interface. I enjoy searching in System Preferences. Safari RSS kicks ass. All in all, a solid OS which is now much faster. However, it was pretty slow while Spotlight was indexing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home